Rumi said, “Don't be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.”
I love this quote because it reminds us that we’re the author of our own book of life. It implies that we have some agency over what’s written inside - because we hold the pen. It’s a reminder that while others can guide us, we always have a choice - to CHOOSE what we do next.
When was the last time you paused to contemplate the power of this gift?
Because today’s the youngest, you’ll ever be (as my daughter often says to me!) The only time to take action is NOW.
And regardless of what’s happened in the past, you can always choose to shake things up, try something new, or set out on a new path entirely.
After all, while some pages of your story are already written, others are yet to come. As the storyteller of your life, you can write your way to your best self.
Here’s how you can do it…
1. Decide to discover yourself.
The first step is to make a simple choice. Decide to know who you really are - below the surface. This step is crucial if you are to write your own story.
Often we make decisions based on what’s trendy, what feels comfortable, what’s predictable, what will make particular people happy, what’s the sensible choice etc.
BUT WHAT DO YOU REALLY WANT?
If you don’t know yourself at a deep level, you can live a life of compromises and playing safe. You can push off the things that light you up and play smaller than you want to
You can settle too - and none of that feels good.
But when you know yourself, you have a compass inside that helps you stay aligned.
When you know yourself, it’s easier to know what opportunities are the right ones compared to those that aren’t.
When you know yourself, you can keep walking YOUR path through life. You can be proactive instead of reactive. And ultimately, you’ll feel happier, more fulfilled, and a lot more successful.
2. Explore deep-dive questions.
Once you’ve decided you’re ready to know yourself deeper, the next step is to make it happen!
One of the most potent ways to do this is to explore deep-dive questions in your journal. It’s easy to know who you are at the surface. For example, you probably have a good idea of what you like and don’t like. You may have an idea of some of your bigger aspirations too.
But what insights can you uncover when you go deeper?
• What are your priorities?
• What do you value?
• How do you want to feel?
• What makes you feel alive?
• What stops you from making bigger moves etc.
Allow your journal to guide you into new conversations. Let each word that you write lubricate the next. Cultivate the courage to be radically honest with yourself.
Write about the things that are in your heart.
Write down the things that don’t feel logical.
Write about the big stuff and the little stuff.
Because every word that you write will take you back to YOU.
3. LIVE your story
As you explore more conversations with yourself and discover more truths, you’ll get clearer on how you want to live.
This is the unexpected power of journaling. The more you write, the more that gets revealed. This part can be both liberating and scary.
• There’s freedom in knowing why you do things in a certain way.
• There’s confidence in knowing you’re on the right path for you.
• There’s growth in stepping out of your comfort zone to find your edge.
On the flip side, you can also make discoveries that might challenge you. For example:
• What happens if you learn something you don’t like?
• What if a goal lights you up, but at the same time promises to uproot your life?
• What if the next steps mean letting go of something that gave you security and comfort.
Once you’ve looked inside yourself to know what comes next in your story, you can’t put it back again! That’s why having a tool that keeps you on track can be so powerful.
Introducing the Core Values Journal
The Core Values Journal is a 13-week guided experience for finding your authentic self and living a life you love.
This journal is for you if:
• You’re ready to experience more purpose, passion, intentionality, and fulfillment in your life.
• You want to end more days feeling, “Wow, that was INCREDIBLE. More please!”
• You’re curious to explore how to drop some of the ‘shoulds’, expectations and responsibilities that take your time.
• You want to stop pushing important things off for later - because - let’s be honest - ‘later’ never seems to come!
• You want to feel free to do more of what you love.
This self-accountability tool will help you stay aligned with your true north - every day.
• Weekly planning pages infuse intentionality into your life.
• Weekly reflection pages help you adjust, so you don’t drift off course.
• Daily pages challenge you to live each day in alignment with what you love.
With your journal to guide you, each day becomes a step deeper into a life that’s aligned and a life that you love.
It’s your shortcut to the lifestyle you’ve dreamt about.
Here’s to you writing your own story.